12 Days of Christmas
The festive season can be filled with Christmas commitments, elegant engagements and merry mingling that you want to look spot on for.
So here are our 12 essential items to get you through dancefloor, dinner table and sale shopping excess.
Work Christmas party (or three)
1. You want to shine – not as much as the discoball, but close – so be sure to grab something glittery from NYX. Pick a shade of their Glitter Brilliants which matches your party outfit and go to town. Remember, you’ll need some Glitter Primer to hold it in place from the first dance through to last orders.
2. Recover from Prosecco pouring with a soothing facemask. We’re looking forward to trying Liz Earle’s Winter Glow Gift which promises to ‘reveal your radiance in one simple step’. The brightening treatment mask will leave your ready to hit up the next party on your calendar looking fabulous.
3. Getting all your work done before Santa comes, writing cards, late night shopping for that perfect dress/gift for your other half/dessert for Christmas Day can leave you feeling frazzled even before the big day comes. So find some time to destress and run a bath with Molton Brown’s Delicious Rhubarb & Rose Festive Bauble. Smells great and restorative too.
4. Whether you’re cosying up on the couch with the fam to watch a festive flick or hitting the local with old friends, there will always be pics so make sure your brows look tip top. Gimme Brow from Benefit is a tinted eyebrow gel which will hold even the bushiest of brows in place and give strong definition to those who love an arch.
5. I love a red lip on Christmas Day, so why not try Soap & Glory’s Sexy Mother Pucker Lipstick? I like Rougenie from their Reds collection, but there are plenty of shades to choose from. Sexy Mother Pucker is super smooth and will see you naturally through from present opening to chocolate box opening without smudging. Plus, it comes in three finishes – powder-coat matte, silk-coat satin and glass-coat high shine – so you can choose a look which is really you.
6. Feeling the effects of relative relentless heating or just overdone it on the wine? Treat yourself with a day off the makeup and slap on some luxurious moisturiser. My current fave is Celestial from Lush which just smells heavenly and goes on like a dream.
Winter walk with the family
7. Fake a fresh-faced glow (well, at least until the wind hits you) with Benetint by Benefit. Minimalist, but oh so effective.
8. Braving the high street to look for a bargain? Protect those lips from chapping with Burt’s Bees Tinted Lip Balm. I’m hoping this pocket-sized saviour, preferably in Hibiscus, ends up in my stocking this Christmas.
Catching up with friends
9. Look bright-eyed and as if you’ve actually been catching up with sleep, not burning the candle at both ends, with a great mascara to make your peepers really pop as you lean in for all the goss. I’ve still never found a rival to Maybelline’s Great Lash Mascara in Blackest Black, but always open to suggestions. Tweet us @Lipsticktv with your favourite mascaras.
New Year’s Eve
10. If you’re hoping to ring in 2017 with a smooch, make those lips look kissable with MAC Satin Lipstick in Brave. It is my new obsession – it goes with almost every look you rock and smells so delightful.
New Year’s Day
11. A few extra hours of sleep required? We thought so! While you’re taking it easy, why not indulge in a little pampering? New year, new nails. Nails inc’s Perfectly Polished collection is six smashing colours – I’ve got my eye on Bruton Mews, a forest green though it is a tossup between that and Sloane Mews, a wonderful wintry plum. Movie choice and manicurist is up to you!
Return to work
12. You’ll be sporting your new clothes from Santa and the sales, sprayed with your new signature scent and showing off that new leather arm candy so be sure your face is on trend too with a bold liner. Here’s how to shake up your signature flick.
Words by Kayleigh Mcleod